Thursday, August 8, 2013

Introducing....... Twyla Harbick

Now this designer is rather special to me because having Twyla as a Maven completes a circle.  Twyla not only followed the Bead Maven's blog but also entered our last contest, Maven Meld, taking second place. I was so delighted when she answered my call for designers and it was an easy 'yes'.  It's great to see how she's grown as a designer in the last couple of years and I think everyone will enjoy getting to know......


Twyla Harbick

2nd Place Winner, Maven Meld 2011


What did you do before beading?

Before I took up beading full time, I worked part-time as a Bookkeeper for a Roofers Union.

What brought beading into my life?

One fine summer day a friend and I went to explore a new local beading store that had recently opened in our community, aptly named "The Bead Addiction", and they had a sign in the window that read; Beading Classes - Sign up Inside. I looked at my friend and said, "We could take a beading class together!" ...and my bead addiction was born. :)



What is your comfort zone?

My comfort zone centers around making pretty, feminine, and wearable jewelry using mostly Delica's, and smaller seed beads such as 15's. The smaller, the better I say. :) In my opinion, there is just something about smaller beads that tends toward feminism.

What aspect of beading do you find most challenging?

Is this a trick question? All of it! No, but seriously, I would probably say the most challenging aspect for me is in the creating of a new design. It is one thing to come up with an idea, but to transfer that idea onto paper or translate it into a reality with beads is often quite another thing. Some people are just naturally gifted that way. For myself, the process can be at times a 
little daunting.



What would you most likely bead if you had the time and the supplies?

I have always wanted to try my hand at bead embroidery and it would most likely involve some sort of mermaid motif.

Who if anyone, has influenced your style of beading?

Where do I begin? There are numerous talented, wonderful designers out there to choose from and I can't help but think that in some ways I am influenced by all of them...but if I had to choose just one or two, I would say probably Kelly Wiese and Lisa Kahn would be at the top of my list. I think both of these designers have a feminine and romantic style of beading that I am very drawn to.



If you could only use one bead weaving stitch which one would you choose and why? 

Well, this is a really tough question for me, because I have several go to stitches I really like; peyote, herringbone and RAW, to mention a few.... but to have to only pick one, I think it would have to be RAW.  For me, I think its probably a little more versatile than the other stitches and one is able to do so many different things with it. You can use it to make a smooth fabric base or you can embellish and create beaded layers which give way to many different textures and shapes depending on the size and style of beads that you choose.

Do you have a favorite place to buy beads and supplies?

I would always encourage anyone to buy from their local bead stores if at all possible. I personally do a lot of shopping online and buy from several different stores depending on what I am searching for. To name a few:
Artbeads
Fire Mountain Gems
Bello Modo
Fusion Beads
Shipwreck Beads



What Twyla says about herself:

I have been beading for about 3 years and call Springfield, Oregon my home. I am the mother of two grown children, one 9 month old granddaughter, and a wonderful kitty named Fox. 

Beading is my bliss and I enjoy creating new jewelry designs and tutorials for others to bead.  I also like to dabble in polymer clay and to create mixed media designs. I hope someday to have some of my designs and works published.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to have the opportunity to follow your path this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis! I am looking forward to the journey and getting to know all of the Bead Maven Blog followers! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you here Twyla. Your beadwork is beautiful. looking forward to seeing your posts in the future. I lived in Corvallis for many years...love that part of the country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacquie! Its nice to meet a previous Oregonian here! I love the Corvallis area also-its very pretty up there! :)

      Delete
  3. WOW three years and you are so far along!!! Awesome! I can not wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Twyla, lovely to meet here amongst the Mavens. I am with you on using seed beads the smaller the better and also totally agree with the 3 stitches you use and with Craw being your final choice because of its abilities.
    I am looking forward to our journey over the Maven year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patrick--I am so honored to be sharing this experience with you and all the other new mavens! I know I am going to learn alot from all of you! :)

      Delete
  5. So glad you'll have this forum to share your beautiful designs, Twyla! I'll look forward to seeing the gorgeous work you'll create here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Callie! I am looking forward to being a maven. Entering the Maven Meld contest led me to this place and to making one of the best online friends I am blessed to have--you!! <3

      Delete
  6. Yay, Twyla! I'm so happy I get to brag now that we will be working together this year! :D Isn't it funny that 3 of this year's Mavens crop are/were bookkeepers? There's a bit of math in beadwork, eh? We're a creative bunch! :) I'm so excited- you're so talented! ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Val! You are very talented also and I think this going to be a great year and a fun group! It is funny about the bookkeeper thing-- I have also noticed that many in beadwork have been graphic designers as well. Makes sense though! :)~ Twyla

    ReplyDelete